Discreet Restoration with Tooth-Colored Fillings
Dental fillings are a trusted method to restore teeth that have been damaged by decay. Modern dentistry now allows for a more attractive and metal-free alternative to silver amalgam, the base material that has been used in these restorations for decades. Tooth-colored fillings seamlessly blend in with your natural teeth while still providing durable protection. Dr. Frank Avason provides tooth-colored fillings at his Toledo, OH, clinic. He can even remove silver fillings and replace them with tooth-colored resin to deliver a more pleasing smile.
Why Choose Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Good candidates for tooth-colored fillings are generally experiencing mild to moderate levels of tooth decay. In addition to a healthier, more natural-looking smile, these patients could benefit from:
- Improved strength: Silver fillings can weaken teeth by expanding and contracting under different temperatures. Tooth-colored fillings are more stable and reinforce your teeth without compromising them.
- More conservative: Composite fillings do not require as much of your tooth to be removed as metal fillings.
- Minimal pain after treatment: There is less discomfort reported by patients following the placement of tooth-colored fillings compared to silver.
- Less sensitivity to hot and cold foods: Metals transfer heat more quickly than composite resin. Tooth-colored fillings are made of a material that is less likely to result in sensitivity to very hot and cold foods and drinks.
- An updated smile: Because so many patients are now opting for tooth-colored fillings, silver restorations can appear dated. By replacing silver or gold fillings with tooth-colored resin, patients can benefit from a more modern-looking appearance.
Dr. Avason will evaluate your candidacy during an initial consultation. Patients with advanced tooth decay may require root canal therapy or a dental crown. Patients who have silver amalgam or gold fillings may be eligible for tooth-colored fillings as a replacement that can improve the appearance of their smile.
Tooth-colored fillings are more conservative and unlike metal, do not respond to temperature changes, which can weaken the tooth over time.
How the Procedure Works
If you have any untreated decay, Dr. Avason will first gently remove the compromised areas of your tooth. A local anesthetic will be applied to completely numb the area. This is typically sufficient to ensure patients' comfort but we also offer nitrous oxide, oral conscious sedation, and intravenous (IV) sedation. If you have old silver fillings, those will first be removed and the underlying tooth will be cleaned before a tooth-colored composite solution is used to fill in the missing areas. Dr. Avason uses a special light to speed the hardening of the bonding material that is placed in the excavated space. The last step involves gently buffing down the tooth-colored filling so the material does not impede the patient’s bite.
Restore Your Health
Metal fillings can detract from an otherwise attractive smile, but patients now have a restorative treatment that is virtually indistinguishable from their natural teeth. To learn more about your candidacy and schedule your first appointment with Dr. Avason, contact us online or call (704) 820-9797.
“Your smile is one of the first things someone notices about you—let us make it shine.” DR. FRANK AVASON III