Dr. Frank Avason provides implant-supported crowns at his Denver, NC, office without the need to refer patients to outside specialists at other locations. At Avason Family Dentistry, we embrace a philosophy of comprehensive care. We believe it is important to address the health, function, and aesthetics of your smile for an optimal outcome, and for the right candidates, implant-supported crowns can enhance all of these aspects of your smile.
What is an Implant-Supported Crown?
An implant-supported crown is similar to a traditional dental crown. However, instead of being placed over a tooth, an implant-supported crown is connected to a dental implant for the purpose of replacing an entire lost tooth. For many patients who are missing a single tooth, a dental implant-supported restoration is considered the best solution.
A dental implant is a small titanium post that is inserted during a surgical procedure to replace a tooth root. Once an implant is placed, it requires approximately four to six months of healing before a crown can be attached. To place an implant-supported crown, a tiny connector (abutment) is affixed to the dental implant. The crown attaches to the abutment.
Advantages of Implant-Supported Crowns
When a tooth is lost, it can be replaced with either a traditional bridge or an implant-supported crown. While a bridge requires alteration of surrounding teeth, an implant crown does not. Meanwhile, the dental implant will provide the stimulation necessary to prevent the jaw atrophy that follows the loss of a tooth.
Candidacy for Implant-Supported Crowns
If you are an adult missing a single tooth, or require extraction of one tooth, you are likely a candidate for an implant crown. The best candidates have sufficient bone tissue in the jaw to support an implant, are non-smokers, and are free of any tooth decay or periodontal disease.
Implant-Supported Crown Treatment Process
Receiving an implant-supported crown spans careful assessment of your smile, implant placement surgery, and restoration:
- Initial Consultation: During your first appointment, Dr. Avason will perform a series of assessments. He will carefully examine your teeth and gums to make sure you are in good oral health. Digital imaging will also be used to evaluate the health of the jawbone. Dr. Avason will use a cone beam 3-D CAT scan to obtain an accurate diagnosis. After your assessment, your options will be discussed and a personalized treatment plan will be created.
- Implant Placement: During an oral surgery procedure, your new dental implant will be placed. This typically takes about one hour in our office.
- Healing Period: Once the implant is placed, it will require four to six months to become integrated with the jaw.
- Impressions: When healing is complete, we will take impressions of the implant, surrounding teeth, and opposing teeth. These impressions will be sent to a trusted dental lab for the fabrication of your crown.
- Fabrication: A trained dental technician will skillfully craft your custom restoration. This process can take about one to two weeks.
- Crown Placement: Once we have received your restoration, we will schedule another appointment in our office. Dr. Avason will attach the abutment to the implant, and seat the crown using either dental cement or screw retention. After carefully checking your bite, any necessary adjustments will be made. The result is a fully functional restoration that looks and feels just like a natural tooth.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you are missing a tooth, an implant-supported crown could be the optimal solution for you. To learn more, schedule a consultation with Dr. Avason. Call our office at (704) 820-9797 or contact us online anytime.
“Your smile is one of the first things someone notices about you—let us make it shine.” DR. FRANK AVASON III